Seqirus, a leading manufacturer that specialises in flu vaccines, put together a panel of their experts who were available to discuss flu pandemic preparedness at this background press briefing, answering the question: What would happen if there was an influenza pandemic tomorrow?
Preparations for seasonal influenza involve a well-established annual cycle of surveillance, development, production and distribution but the ongoing risk of a possible new flu pandemic challenges manufacturers to prepare for the arrival of a new and unpredictable virus strain which could emerge anywhere in the world without warning.
Seqirus, one of the world’s largest flu vaccine manufacturers, is working with the World Health Organisation, the UK and more than 30 governments worldwide, offering extensive scientific and technical expertise to ensure they are as well prepared as possible. The company operates Britain’s largest flu vaccine manufacturing facility from a base in Liverpool.
Please note this was a background briefing – there were no new announcement or publications.
Journalists dialled in to this briefing to hear this panel discuss aspects such as:
– What is pandemic preparedness and what has flu got to do with it?
– How do we monitor for flu pandemics and why does it matter?
– How has the COVID-19 pandemic affected global health organisations and their ability to monitor for pandemics?
– How has the COVID-19 pandemic changed the industry’s partnerships with the UK government’s pandemic preparedness?
– What is the role technological advances in vaccination have in shaping pandemic preparedness globally and in the UK?
– Could these evolving technological advances affect the use of traditional influenza vaccination approaches?
– What can be done to be better prepared for a flu pandemic?
Dr Ethan Settembre, Head of Research, Seqirus
Marc Lacey, Executive Director, Global Pandemic Enterprise, Seqirus
Dr Beverly Taylor, Head of Influenza Scientific Affairs, WHO; and IFPMA International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers & Associations) Lead at Seqirus